Who is not stressed in the morning? But with a little preparation, you don’t have to miss out on a delicious and nutritious breakfast! These breakfast muffins made with crispy toast and egg not only look cute, but will give you the energy you need to start your day off right.
The preparation of these muffins is very simple, but be sure to note that the muffin tin must be sufficiently oiled. Otherwise, it will be very difficult to impossible to get your creations out of the mold in one piece. The cleaning remains so also in a manageable framework.
To form the shell from toast, remove the crust of the bread and cut the slice in half. This makes it easier to shape them to fit. You will need one slice of toast per breakfast muffin. Line the pan completely with toast, so if anything peeks through: Fill it up! Otherwise the egg will stick to it.
For the filling you can let your imagination run wild. Suitable would be for example tomatoes, bacon or some spinach. These are the first to go into the toasting dish, because this creates another layer of insulation between the muffin tin and the egg. Finally, crack the eggs directly into the muffins. A tip if you’re not that skilled at cracking eggs: crack the egg into a cup first. This makes it easier to fish out a bit of shell. Then just slide the egg from the cup into the muffin.
Into the oven! You can enjoy the muffins warm right away or store them in an airtight sealed box in the fridge for the next stressful morning.
Have fun making them again!
- 7 slices of toast
- 6 eggs
- butter or oil for spreading
- fix-ins e.g. tomatoes, bacon or spinach
- salt pepper
- Generously butter or oil muffin tin. Remove crust from toast. Line mold with toast. Preheat oven to 180 °C convection oven.
- Pour desired filling into toast shell and beat egg over it. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then place on a rack to cool or eat directly.