As far as cooking is concerned, there’s only one thing I have the greatest respect for: deep-frying, or rather, handling lots of hot oil. Not only is the risk of injury high, but also the disposal of the oil is often a problem. The solution: for many dishes that are fried in hot oil, comparable results can be achieved in the oven. As I will show you in today’s recipe, this even works with escalopes.
The preparation of the cutlets remains the same as for the pan version. To guarantee that the meat cooks evenly, we pat it flat between two sheets of plastic wrap. Then season properly and coat in breadcrumbs. I always set up a small “breading line” for this, consisting of three shallow containers. In the first we put flour, in the second we beat the eggs and in the last bowl we put the breadcrumbs. A secret tip that also applies to cooking in general: every part of a dish must be seasoned. So season the flour, the eggs and the breadcrumbs.
Now drive the cutlets once along the road before placing them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. First in the flour – here tap off the excess flour – then in the eggs and finally in the breadcrumbs. Now we spread some tasteless oil on the meat to make the breading really crispy. Put it in the oven and after a short time you’ll have breaded schnitzels without oil splashes all over the kitchen.
Next week I’ll show you the perfect side dish to go with it: Classic potato salad.
Have fun cooking!
- 4 pork cutlets
- 2 eggs
- paprika powder
- salt pepper
- neutral tasting oil e.g. sunflower or rapeseed oil
- Preheat oven to 200 °C convection oven. Place cutlets between two sheets of plastic wrap and pat flat.
- Set up a “breading line”: To do this, place the eggs, flour and breadcrumbs in each of three shallow containers (e.g. plates, Tupperware). Season eggs with salt and pepper and whisk. Add a little paprika powder to the breadcrumbs.
- Pull the cutlets one after the other from both sides through the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and brush with oil.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.