Topfenstrudel is a true classic of Austrian cuisine. Often served with vanilla sauce, the creamy filling is a special treat while still warm straight from the oven.
For this version, we refrain from making the strudel dough ourselves. Instead, we use ready-made dough from the supermarket. To prevent the strudel from falling apart during baking, there is a simple trick: With the help of a loaf pan, the curd strudel grows nicely in height.
As always, the entire recipe is below. I wish you a lot of fun while baking!
- 1 pck. strudel dough
- 500 g curd cheese
- 125 g sour cream
- 2 tablespoons semolina
- 50 g butter at room temperature
- 70 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- lemon peel for taste
- pinch of salt
- Separate the eggs. Cream butter with sugar and stir in egg yolks towards the end.
- Mix curd cheese with sour cream, semolina, lemon zest and vanilla until smooth and add to egg yolk mixture.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until whipped egg whites. Carefully fold into the remaining filling.
- Pour the filling onto the strudel dough, leaving about 5 inches all around. Fold in the edge and carefully roll up the strudel. Turn out into a loaf pan.
- Brush with a little bit of oil or liquid butter and bake for approx. 30 minutes at 180 °C convection oven.